Wednesday 25 February 2015

Seaside Skies

Seaside memories from the recent past. Camping out. One Dad three boys all under 11 years of age. A wonderful friend loaning his caravan. Far enough away from roads and towns for the night to wrap you in a black and purple sky pierced by a myriad lights.


First night was so clear. It was past midnight and the peace was as enveloping as the sky. Though they slept I decided to wake the older boys. I lifted the younger onto my lap where I sat on the edge of a camp bed. He took my hand and dragged it across his shoulder as he pushed his head into my chest. His eyes not quite open enough to see the sky's lights until I tried to point out a constellation to him and his brother. Sat in a Kelly green chair with tubular silver skeleton staring into the cloudless purple.


Credit: Starry Night















Dad?

Yes bud.

Why are there more stars in the sky here than where we live?

There isn't buddy it’s the same sky. 

I've looked Dad and there is more stars here than I've seen before.

Well I know what you mean.

See that group of stars? That’s called ‘The Plough’ if you follow the dots with your finger you can see a shape like a ladle.

I smothered his hand inside mine and drew the shape into the sky. Lifting his index finger with mine moving it from star to star. Eyes wide open as he painted the night with his mind. 

Which one is Mars?

I think it’s that one there.

I went to point into the void but before I'd moved my finger he bolted up in my lap,

There... Dad!  Look. That one. There. It’s there. It’s that pink one- there. I can see it. I found it!

I think you’re probably right son.

He sank back pulled the sleeping bag over himself and pushed his head against my chest.

You've discovered Mars son. You've discovered Mars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave a note.The sharing is helpful to me and I love communicating.Thank you.